Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter Miracles!

Hey Everybody! Happy Easter! I hope you all loved conference, and found joy in the words of the prophets and apostles. This week Elder Beacham and I have seen many miracles, and I've really enjoyed the many different talks about Christ and his Atonement, really highlighting this Easter Season. Probably one of my favorite combinations of talks ever must have been Jeffrey R Holland's powerful talk about Jesus Christ never leaving us alone, followed by Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk on how the grace of Christ gives us hope and meaning to the work we do. I absolutely loved it, and I know the investigators who watched it loved it as well.
We've been very fortunate this week and have had the opportunity to see many miracles. First of all, on Monday and Tuesday we were in Canada the whole time. I was lucky enough to get to go to the Halifax Temple! It's so pretty! :) Definitely worth the 7 hour journey! After that, President Leavitt instructed us in ways that we can improve our missionary work and find more people to teach. It was really nice to be able to meet with other missionaries and learn from one another. Once we headed back to Caribou, we did an exchange with the Woodstock Elders! Elder Thompson came over to Caribou with me, and Elder Beacham stayed down in Woodstock. We got to teach a lesson to a man named Michael Garmin, who is the father of the family we met a little bit ago! It was so cool to be able to teach him, he really seemed to appreciate the Book of Mormon, and has read some of it already.


Here are some pictures from my Halifax Temple visit.  I felt like I was back in Utah!

After that, Elder Beacham and I were fortunate to pick up 4 new investigators! That rarely ever happens in one week up here, however, we were fortunate enough to have them contact us and not vice versa! One of them named Kenny, called us and told us that he really needed help, that he wanted to take lessons again, and that he was going through a really rough time. We went over to his trailer and he told us he wanted to be baptized and called us missionaries from "his" church! So Cool!
We also got in contact with a church headquarters referral, and it was an older gentleman named Rick. He had ordered a Bible, so we took it to him, and then he asked about what our church believes. He then accepted a Book of Mormon as well.
The other miracle involved a lady named Kathy Lyons. The missionaries taught her with her inactive husband back in 2011. I had tried getting in contact with her since October. Each time we did talk with her, she said that she wasn't interested in our church at all. However, on Saturday night, she gave us a call and told us she wanted to come to our church. When we explained that General Conference was going on, they invited us over for the Sunday morning session, and fed us and we explained that we had a modern day prophet. She really seemed to like it.
We had another investigator (Jon) also watch the first session of conference. He loved how family driven our church was, and with his little girl, he really felt the spirit and understood a lot about our church. He has been reading the Book of Mormon right now. All in all, we have about eleven total investigators right now, which is more than Caribou has had for a while! The Lord's work truly is moving forward. Just like the hymn "High on the Mountaintop" goes. Let's all remember what the Savior has done for us, his sacrifice, the restoration of his church, and allowing us all to come closer to him.
I know that these miracles were only because of him. I love my Savior, and I feel like in my toughest weeks I have come to understand his sacrifice more than ever before. I encourage you all to think about Christ, always. I have to go, but I love you all!

Elder Wanlass

This is on Sweden Street. The street I have lived for the past 6 months.


Here is my District!

For my sister Reagan. :)


The World's Largest Ax!  (just because)

No comments:

Post a Comment