Monday, February 23, 2015

Fort Kent and the Land of Ebola

Hello Everybody! It's been a good week, we've seen a lot of amazing things happen, (and a lot of not that great things) and we are pressing forward. Caribou is doing pretty well right now. We found 3 new investigators this week: Alan and Amanda, and John Cook. It was also 30 degrees yesterday! So warm! I could actually feel the sun! Unfortunately it is back to -30 today, so I guess I will still have to wait before I can get a tan.

We finally got in contact with Omar. He had been in Portland for almost two weeks, so we lost contact for a bit, but we have a lesson scheduled this afternoon, so that will be good to see how he is doing! He should still be progressing towards baptism, and I can tell that he has that desire to come closer to Christ!

We had a pretty cool experience, we were going to stop by one of our investigator's homes, but he wasn't there, it was a little disappointing, but afterwards we were about to leave, Elder Beacham gets called over by a guy a little down the street. He gave him a hug, and I knew something was up, so I hurried and got out of the truck and talked with the man. The guy is named Kenny, I guess he was a former investigator, and he said that he would like to come back to our church. We didn't hesitate to set something up with him, of course! So we hopefully will be getting some baptisms soon! I know that as long as we believe that we can get something, and we show through our actions that we want it, God will grant it to us! I really want to help people, and I feel like I've gotten to already!

We found John Cook through a former investigator record. He wants to join our church, believes it to be true, loves it because of his parents (they were both active members). He also knows a few members, so that is also pretty good for fellowship. We just need to help him get to church!

Alan and Amanda are a young couple that are really open to learning from us. We also found them through the area book. They were really cool, and they are making arrangements to feed us and have a lesson with us as well! We will keep you posted on how things go!

This week we also had the opportunity to go on an expedition to Fort Kent and Madawaska, the northernmost parts of our area, and also an hour and a half away. Fort Kent is a very Catholic/French speaking area, a college town, and coincidentally, was the place that lady lived when the Ebola crisis was going on. (She refused to be quarantined, etc.) So we decided to take a trip and see if it was worth meeting with some former investigators up there. Long story short, it wasn't. We had people yell at us, college kids flip us off, not fun stuff. It didn't help that the 12 members on the ward list basically all moved away, so there wasn't anybody to go visit. However, overall, we had fun, but I don't think we will be going back up there anytime soon :) We didn't even get to see a moose! However there was a lot of beautiful pine trees, so it kind of made up for it.

This week we also had Mission President interviews! President Leavitt stopped by the Caribou apartment, and we got to talk a lot about how I was doing as a trainer, missionary, etc. I love President. He is a funny and sarcastic guy, but he really does show that he cares. I'm glad that I get to serve with him, and when he leaves the mission in June, I will miss him!

Well, that's pretty much been our week! We have been spreading the gospel everywhere! We've found a lot of people! It's just been a great week! I love you all, and I hope you have a fantastic day! :)

Love,

Elder Wanlass

Fort Kent....Land of Dreams.

I found a little bit of sunshine.

I am standing on the most North sidewalk in America.  Canada is right behind me!

The bridge to Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment